Welcome to my blog everyone

Welcome to my Travel Blog everyone. I hope you Enjoy... please don't forget to visit my other site for the photos. www.pixie-constance.bebo.com.


have fun, we are...


Sarah

Wednesday 3 October 2007

Why back to Germany...






Well in answer to a question from mum "Why back to Germany"




there are lots of answers.




1) it was only 2 hours away by train


2) it cost 80 euro for the both of us both ways


3) Cologne cathedral is the tallest (and in my opinon the best in Europe)


4)"i felt like it"


5) Beer


6) It's another place that we have been scratched off the list




Today we went to a small museum of Cologne. It was tiny and only 2 euro. My hopes were not high. we got in and it was "ok" but not brilliant. Until i saw the most fascinating medieval collection i have seen so far i think. everyone has armor and swords and tapestries and so on, but none have had a collection of items taken off a condemed Patrician in 1389! Yes 1389. Pretty good year. All the items were taken and stored and forgotten about. they are just normal items. like a needle case, about 10 little tiny bags that fell off his belt. Folding spoon in a case, another case, a belt and blah blah blah.... The bags were the biggest eye opener yet. They were very well preserved, one made out of soft leather, but it had little pockets sewn all over it. Another had a cover for the bag made out of mesh!! It also had little ROUND seed pearls the size of normal beads crossing over the seam lines around the two side seams. it was the size of a match box. (see photos below)


As you can see this was pretty cool.

But back to normallity!!

we went out for dinner last night to a really nice place that was about 300 years old.
as you can see they had beer at this place!! we had a really delicious meal of beef covered in a balsamic vinegar and herb sauce with red cabbage and potato dumplings and salad.





(I love this photo!!! Sorry Chris i HAD to put it in...)

byyeee

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Sarah they are all good reasons. I loved Cologne cathedral. did you get to see the big clock with the figures on it thats col too.
Glad you are having fun
Love mum

Unknown said...

Ashamedly, I have not been keeping up with your blog but I hope you are having a blast!!

I've come to share my exciting news - I gave birth to my son Riley James on the 14th of September (he turned 3wks old on Friday!). He was born safely at home, drug-free in the birthing pool. It was a magical experience - very empowering! He was 8lb 13oz and 54cm long :)

We're both doing really well and I'm loving being a mummy. Let me know what your email address is and I'll send you some piccies :)

Love Linn
xx

Machteld said...

Oh, you went to Koln, so nice!! I was there two years ago and I absolutely loved the little gold embroidered pouch with the dog. Thanks for posting these pictures!

Sarah Ketley said...

Yes Koln was wonderful, i really enjoyed it. Germany was probably one of my favourite countries of the entire trip actually.

WE don't get much History down in Australia at all...sigh...