Welcome to my blog everyone

Welcome to my Travel Blog everyone. I hope you Enjoy... please don't forget to visit my other site for the photos. www.pixie-constance.bebo.com.


have fun, we are...


Sarah

Thursday 19 July 2007

Westminster Abbey


Ok Westminster Abbey...
well it was very well worth the 10 pounds to get in, but unfortunately you can't take photos in the place so you can't have any. You can see one of the towers in the back ground of this picture, taken in the gardens out the back.

I have never seen so many beautiful old little chapels anywhere. It is truly an awesome place. We bought some little walkie talkie phones that guide you round the Abbey and explain what everything is. Everyone of any importance was there, from Edward the Confessor to Shakespere and Charles Darwin. Yes, the person who disproved the Bible's story about the creation of man. Apparantly he recanted his life's work on his death bed and said it was lies. That is why he is buried there. However it is a very plain slab of stone. Just a name carved with o decoration at all.

Even Chaucer was there (For those that don't know Chaucer wrote the Canterbury Tales, one of the stories is called "A Knights Tale".... Yes think Heath Ledger.






We manged to sneak a couple of photos in the Abbey, this is really the only one that turned out ok. It was so amazing to be able to walk around. We could actually touch things to. Normally things are all roped off and you don't see things. appart from not getting a look at the confessor's monument, we were able to do so much and walk all over the Abbey. The stones are so worn down in places after 600 year of kings, queens and normal tourists walking all over them. Funny to think that all the people you read about in the History books have actually walked in the same spot as you.

I must stop, i'm getting far to mushy over that thought... we progress..








The back of the Abbey is a garden and other building where the monks slept. They are just beautiful!! As you can see from the photos on the left. You can just see a bit of the Abbey in the 2nd picture at the very top.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK i want the monks house I want the monks house NOW.
Boy we are very green Sarah, keep having fun.
Mum

Anonymous said...

aww, I wanna be there and I wanna be there now!
Good you're having a good time though. I'm keeping track of everything you do, and when I go there I will do more! hahaha

Anonymous said...

Alright. That does it. I am officially jealous and am looking into flights right now!

No seriously. Hope to see you soon!